[Server-devel] (probably) the world's highest solar powered schoolserver and mesh setup

Anish Mangal anishmg at umich.edu
Fri Sep 9 00:27:02 EDT 2016

Yes, we plan to put a temp & humidity logger in the box next time we deploy
this (or maybe put one in these boxes). Frankly we didnt do much testing
other than waterproofing testing before deploying this so would be very
interesting to see how it holds up in the cold winters.

Right now, we just used the buck converter with panel and without battery
so the node switches off every evening.

Thanks for sharing the paper, will go through it.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:17 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Good reading, thanks.  Looking forward to more.
>
> The clear bottle packaging of the routers in the photographs is
> interesting.  Looking at the climate data for Leh;
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leh#Climate
>
> my guess is that the bottle will make a good thermal environment;
> spending the most time within the temperature range of the router.
> Router radios become less sensitive as temperature increases.
>
> Charting inside and outside temperature would be interesting.
>
> At high altitudes my caution would suggest a watchdog circuit for the
> DC to DC converter, to switch it off and then on again if the router
> isn't responding.  Especially where batteries are used.  Where no
> battery is used, a node will restart next morning, and that may be
> enough to handle the more frequent single event upsets.
>
> http://www.dfrsolutions.com/pdfs/2004_HighAltitude_Hillman-Blattau.pdf
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/