[Server-devel] Fwd: Announcing the release of Fedora 24 Beta for aarch64!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed May 11 04:54:33 EDT 2016

>> > Great News!
>> >
>> > Tangentially: are there opinions emerging on the physical
>> > ruggedizability of
>> > 2GB Pine64 v. 1GB RPi3 (incl WiFi) for developing world education, and
>> > harsh
>> > environmental/ergonomic conditions, as more people start banging on
>> > both?
>>
>> I'm sure I've said it before, it's not high quality. My alpha board
>> arrived bent (still works somehow) but the hackaday review [1] sums up
>> my opinion quite well. This isn't a robust device, and with up to 2Gb
>> of RAM there's a lot more ARMv7 devices that offer better value for
>> money. At a max of 2Gb of RAM a 64 bit chip offers absolutely ZERO
>> advantage and it's built for a price and I'm sorry but "harsh
>> environment" is not anywhere in that. Honestly a BeagleBone would do
>> better and has much better build and likely better performance for not
>> much more price (yes, I do class double the price in this class as not
>> much more)
>>
>> [1] http://hackaday.com/2016/04/21/pine64-the-un-review/
>
> Fascinating, Thanks!
>
> (Since I'm working with Haitians who cannot pay double the $35 price of
> RPi3...we'll be looking more seriously at ruggedizing the official Raspberry
> Pi 3 for now...and it's unofficial community support perhaps most
> important.)
>
> Knowing we cannot possibly prevent all failures, but rather hoping that
> field  production use today...affects RPi4/5/6 as a family, increasingly
> growing up from rich-world gadgeteers' basements........to globally-relevant
> nanoservers operationalizable for a billion people who demand to be
> relevant.....even IF they will never in their lifetimes get a $15/hour
> minimum wage :-/

We will be supporting RPi2/3 in F-24, I've got most of the bits in
place, just need the time to finish it off. We'll be supporting it
like the Pi foundation as a ARMv7 device. Single images for both
device (less confusion) and as it's only got 1Gb of RAM you don't get
any real advantage to 64 bit support and it's single buggy usb bus is
the likely the biggest bottleneck there anyway