[Server-devel] Fwd: Announcing the release of Fedora 24 Beta for aarch64!

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue May 10 20:54:54 EDT 2016

On May 10, 2016 7:30 PM, "Peter Robinson" <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On May 10, 2016 3:21 PM, "Peter Robinson" <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> We do have initial pine64 support, I plan to improve it more for GA and
> >> have a disk image for use.
> >
> > Great News!
> >
> > Tangentially: are there opinions emerging on the physical
ruggedizability of
> > 2GB Pine64 v. 1GB RPi3 (incl WiFi) for developing world education, and
harsh
> > environmental/ergonomic conditions, as more people start banging on
both?

> I'm sure I've said it before, it's not high quality. My alpha board
> arrived bent (still works somehow) but the hackaday review [1] sums up
> my opinion quite well. This isn't a robust device, and with up to 2Gb
> of RAM there's a lot more ARMv7 devices that offer better value for
> money. At a max of 2Gb of RAM a 64 bit chip offers absolutely ZERO
> advantage and it's built for a price and I'm sorry but "harsh
> environment" is not anywhere in that. Honestly a BeagleBone would do
> better and has much better build and likely better performance for not
> much more price (yes, I do class double the price in this class as not
> much more)
>
> [1] http://hackaday.com/2016/04/21/pine64-the-un-review/

Fascinating, Thanks!

(Since I'm working with Haitians who cannot pay double the $35 price of
RPi3...we'll be looking more seriously at ruggedizing the official
Raspberry Pi 3 for now...and it's unofficial community support perhaps most
important.)

Knowing we cannot possibly prevent all failures, but rather hoping that
field  production use today...affects RPi4/5/6 as a family, increasingly
growing up from rich-world gadgeteers' basements........to
globally-relevant nanoservers operationalizable for a billion people who
demand to be relevant.....even IF they will never in their lifetimes get a
$15/hour minimum wage :-/

> >> Peter

June

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/24_Beta/Server/aarch64/