[Server-devel] Lightning kills underground Ethernet too; PoE wiring/voltages non-trivial!

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Jan 11 23:05:52 EST 2016

Just a quick digest below for microdeployments -- some summary excerpts for
those who missed both interesting/longer discussions today:

   - Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) might seem like magic cure (when installing
   Wi-Fi Access Points across classrooms not having nearby electrical outlets)
   but PoE is tough to get installed properly, as Tim has discovered!
   - Burying Ethernet cabling in a shallow trench between nearby buildings
   seems rather popular "to the garage" (quite a number of personal
   experiences are documented online) however this does NOT eliminate the
   lightning problem.  What kind of trenching/equipment mitigates lightning
   risks and to what degree seems to be open for debate across different web
   sites (if you don't have El Chapo's tunneling team on your side, avoid
   these risks using underground fiber or directional wireless/repeaters
   instead ;)