[Server-devel] CentOS 7 quirk: VGA cable not re-attachable

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Aug 29 17:16:12 EDT 2016

Might anyone know why the VGA (or Mini DisplayPort) cable can never be
unplugged from CentOS 7.2 (even for a second, forcing you to somehow
reboot[*] if you want to restore video) but yet this ain't a problem on
Fedora 22 and similar -- as I've demonstrated with several units of the
same very NUC6i3SYH hardware, and also on 4th gen NUC D34010WYKH ?

I do understand that CentOS 7.2 is largely based on Fedora 19 from July
2013, whereas Fedora 22 was released almost 2 years later May 2015 -- but
the ability to attach/reconnect any VGA monitor at any time is something
most PC's could handle over recent decades (even after boot, or if the VGA
cable falls off for a second, etc).

Might there be a way to make the VGA (or Mini DisplayPort) cable less
fragile within CentOS 7 on Intel NUC's, or some setting within CentOS 7
that might have gone wrong?  Aside: I used Jerry Vonau's pre-XSCE-6.1 ISO
from July to install CentOS 7.2 in this case.  No worries if conversely
this is a CentOS 7 bug/quirk we just have to live with; still as a major
annoyance during in-person debugging/support, I thought I'd ask!

[*] or worse, earlier today one CentOS7 NUC did not bring up video 4
reboots in a row -- it was only by ssh'ing in remotely to this NUC that I
was able to restore video/monitor output, after typing "reboot" at the
prompt (something that a rural/impoverished deployment would never do,
realistically!)  In most cases, a couple forced poweroffs do the job of
restoring video output (touching the NUC's power button turns it off within
2 seconds generally -- if the NUC does not produce video output on the next
boot, then FYI the 2nd boot (almost) always works.