[Server-devel] olpc-dm/Xorg segfault only if during systemd boot

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Sep 7 18:37:22 EDT 2015

The first message is a result of your problem, not a cause.

The second message is normal, verified in my test just now, therefore
not related to your problem.

To look at the systemd journal for olpc-dm ...

	systemctl status olpc-dm.service | cat

To look at olpc-dm client logs ...

	cat /tmp/olpc-dm*

Do both of these in the failed state as well as the working state to
identify the differences.

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 03:21:10PM -0700, George Hunt wrote:
> I missed one obvious clue, thinking that Xorg.log was the strategic place to
> look.
>
> /var/log/messages (search olpc-dm) shows
>
>   • "olpc-dm.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart"
>   • and then "xauth: file /var/tmp/olpc-auth/.Xauthority does not exist"
>
> googling "Xauthority create olpc" does not give a good hit, but suggests I
> should learn olpc-utils better.
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 2:44 PM, James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     I'm interested in finding the cause; any such race condition that
>     prevents X startup may eventually occur depending on timing, so is
>     there some simple reproducer that we can apply to OLPC OS?
>
>     Where are your changes relative to OLPC OS?
>
>     What does the systemd journal say about olpc-dm service?
>
>     How do the journal, olpc-dm logs, and X logs differ between working
>     and failing case?
>
>     Where does gdb show the segmentation fault occurs?
>
>     --
>     James Cameron
>     [2]http://quozl.linux.org.au/

> [1] mailto:quozl at laptop.org