[Server-devel] [XSCE] automount

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Oct 30 16:35:46 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 09:59:42AM -0400, Tim Moody wrote:
> When a usb drive is inserted into the server it is mounted
> (hopefully).  If the server is restarted that mount disappears even
> if the device is still attached.

My gut feel is that means there is something wrong with the
automounting; it can't tell the difference between devices that appear
before it starts, and those that appear after it starts.

> I started down the road of remounting any drives that were
> automounted for shared content.
>
> Now I am wondering if at startup I should mount anything returned by
> blkid that is not already mounted.  (I don't want to alter fstab.)

Using blkid feels wrong.  blkid is at a higher level; based on a
library libblkid that works with what the kernel provides.

> Also, what are the chances that a device that was /dev/sdb1 for
> example will still be so on restart?

The order of discovery can be unpredictable, so what is /dev/sdb with
media left connected can be different to what it is when media is not
left connected.

Try to script using the symbolic links created in /dev/disk/by-path
which connect back to /dev/sdb, that way the discovery order is
irrelevant.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/