[Server-devel] [XSCE] Anish's major OSM accomplishments: will city search still work?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Oct 20 17:42:21 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Braddock Gaskill <braddock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The city search should still work, unless the cities have moved :)
>
> Joel Steres did most of the geographic search work in IIAB (CC'ed).
>
> I doubt adding continents and countries would be a big deal.  Joel
> originally was aiming to allow searches of everything right down to
> national parks.

Great: the International Union for Conservation of Nature has a list of
something like 1000 national parks across almost 100 countries.  We can
enlist kids across almost every content to do this right, if the IUCN does
not have lat-long bounding boxes ready.

Priority #1: Joel, can you help us add 5 oceans, 7 major seas and 8+
continents?  (N America, S America, Oceania, Antarctica, Europe, Asia,
Eurasia, Africa; whereas "America" is likely too ambiguous, given some
cultures refer to the combined N America + S America as "continent
America", and our disambiguation GUI might not be ready for such
never-ending squabbles?)

Priority #2: There are currently 206 UN-recognized sovereign states:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states  Similar entities
lacking UN recognition if you have a good lawyer: EU = European Union,
Scotland, Tibet, Navajo Nation, Kurdistan, Islamic State, Republic of
Texas, Red Sox Nation, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_limited_recognition

Priority #3: Largest deserts, Minor seas, Major lakes and Longest rivers (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_by_length).  Even an arbitrary
choice of the ~100 most known such "National Geographic-style" natural
features would be a Tremendous Addition!  Including those underwater like
the Great Barrier Reef if possible,

Priority #4: National parks, states, provinces, cantons, departments.  Time
to get our kid army moving...as there must be THOUSANDS, and I don't think
we can handle this alone :}

PS Nick Doiron can provide lat-long coordinates for almost 1000 OLPC
communities and hackspaces from olpcMAP.net later if nec ;)