[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: XS(CE) integration with other environments?

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Tue Mar 10 23:03:42 EDT 2015

No, you can't quite blame Martin for this one.

I won't go into the various people who've said it, but much of the hope
behind the XO-1, Sugar, and Schoolserver was that everyone would rally
around them as the superior solution.  Millions of XOs would be sold, and
everyone would develop Sugar applications.

In practice, this never happened.

XSCE in many ways is an improvement from the original schoolserver.  But
from what I have seen it still seems somewhat oriented towards
micro-deployments.  Or at least everyone loves talking about their
micro-deployments.

The question I am raising is if micro-deployments are enough.

A newspaper article locally republished here contained the point that
"Organizations don’t die because they provide no value; they die because
they fail to provide enough value to enough people."  And although the
original source appears to be religious[*], if you substitute "Judaism"
with "Sugar" and "Synagogues" with "Sugar Labs" much of the article still
is true.

How do we get enough value into future versions of XSCE and Sugar?  How do
we convince deployments that they are worth using, and volunteers that they
are not wasting their time?

As much as technical details may be fun to argue about, I think we need to
determine the more fundamental answers.  This is more of an IAEP discussion
though than anything.

[*]
http://www.jta.org/2015/02/08/news-opinion/opinion/op-ed-are-voluntary-dues-enough-to-get-people-to-join-synagogues