[Server-devel] [XSCE] activation server feature XSCE 5.0

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jul 21 17:46:32 EDT 2014

Yes, 172.18.0.1 should be an address of the school server.

Open Firmware also uses this address for network time protocol (NTP),
and network boot.

It looks for http://172.18.0.1/fs{,0,1,2,4}.zip and, if signature is
good, executes the payload.  In this way it is possible to deliver any
Open Firmware program to laptops via the school server.

The payload program is usually fs-update, but can be other programs
for changing manufacturing tags, setting clock, testing battery, site
specific menus, or serial number reports for inventory control.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/