[Server-devel] [XSCE] XSCE usage analysis: Malaysia Deployment

Curt Thompson curtathompson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:55:41 EDT 2014

Here is the general info wiki for the latest stable version of XSCE
(those of you on the list, please correct me if 5.0 has been superceded,
the wiki hints that it hasn't):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/5.0

The installation instructions are here:
https://github.com/XSCE/xsce/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.rst

(even though the "target" machine is an XO 1.5, 1.75, or XO-4, I haven't
had any problems installing XSCE on other platforms with these
instructions).  The instructions assume you have Fedora 18 already
installed and know the root password (you set the root password yourself
when installing Fedora)

I usually disable SELINUX right after installing Fedora 18 and before
installing XSCE.  If I remember correctly, you edit the file at
/etc/selinux/config and change selinux="permissive" to selinux="disabled".

Assuming Fedora 18 is installed, follow the instructions from "On the
XO..." to "Using tags."  Don't worry about the tags section or the
"Building the rpm" section.

Once XSCE is installed, it should have an IP address of 172.18.96.1 and
I think the DHCP server hands out IP addresses in the 172.18.100.x range.

If you want to see a working version, I created this VM a while back,
which you can download and load up in VirtualBox.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B88Fc8ICKovFUDdvMXNxSUFsVVk&usp=sharing

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

--Curt