[Server-devel] [XSCE] XSCE usage analysis: Malaysia Deployment

Curt Thompson curtathompson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 18:57:04 EDT 2014

Hi Joanne,

Basically whether it's worth it to try XSCE/IIAB depends on what you're
trying to do and the relative 'costs' (cost of hardware, set-up time,
maintenance time).  If you're just trying to set up the server to serve
internet-in-a-box, it's fairly straightforward.  It is certainly helpful
to have some basic understanding of how to use a command line and
ideally whoever sets it up should have some familiarity with Linux.

The problems you're seeing in this list probably arise because
SchoolServer is being put in a larger infrastructure, as a gateway
between the laptops and the real internet, with options for
blacklisting/whitelisting websites and "local caching" of frequently
visited sites to keep bandwidth costs down.  If you're not looking to
connect to the "real internet," you *probably* won't run into most of
these problems.

I have set up a few SchoolServers for testing, and I was tangentially
involved in setting up a couple for computer clubs in Haiti - If you
like, I'd be happy to talk with you about what you're looking to do in
Uganda and give you my opinion on if/how SchoolServer/IIAB can help.
You can call me anytime today at 626-817-2878 or if you prefer email:
curtathompson at gmail.com

Cheers,
Curt Thompson