[Server-devel] [XSCE] Fwd: [support-gang] Number of XO-1 per AP on XSCE - one data point

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Apr 7 20:29:11 EDT 2014

Good question.

The easiest way to infer utilisation is to use the channel to transfer
data, and measure how much data can be moved in a time period, which
gives you a rate, which is then compared against theory.  wget is
enough for this, but with large files slows as they have to write to
disk.

An optimisation is to avoid using disk as part of the test, which
means using iperf instead of wget.

The complex way involves capturing packets and measuring the time
spent receiving them; tcpdump, wireshark.

Remember that utilisation is affected by all uses of the frequency,
not just the equipment you are testing.  I've always been able to get
great data rates on a farm, but take the equipment into a town and the
rate is much lower.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/