[Server-devel] Squid caching on the XSCE AND AP's

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Sat Sep 14 21:31:06 EDT 2013

Hi,

I think it was Tony (please correct me if I'm wrong) who pointed out that
network capacity in a School Server setup can be a hindrance (esp
considering 200 kids, and 20 kids per AP).

This weekend, I attempted to run squid on a TP-Link router. I used a USB
drive as a storage medium, and flashed the router with the OpenWRT SECN
firmware. The initial results seem quite promising, and I'm going to
explore this a bit further.

If anyone's interested in hacking on this or has thoughts/feedback, please
chip in :-)

Drawing a "microprocessor" analogy, having a L1 cache on the XSCE and an L2
cache on the AP, and some smart fine tuning, we could potentially make much
more efficient use of the network capacity we have.

This can be REALLY advantageous if someone is planning to use the SECN
firmware in the mesh mode (no ethernet cables whatsoever). The AP's
wouldn't have to talk to each other as often, if they all have small cache
memories embedded in them.

Cheers,
Anish