[Server-devel] aliases for hacking on our XSCE school server

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 10:59:43 EDT 2013

I recently pushed an xs profile to github that will start fine tuning the
working environment on the XSCE Now I'm thinking that I should add and
collect some functions and aliases which make working with ansible
playbooks and github, easier, and require fewer keystrokes.

So far I've thought of:
runal = runansible $1 -- runansible-playbook with verbose diagnostic ouput
to $1 logfile.
gc $1 $2= git clone github.com/$1/xsce.git --depth=10 $2 -- for quickly
getting our own testing branch down to a unit under test
pullum = git checkout master;git pull upstream master ( might need to test
whether the first command succeeds before executing the second)
pushob = git push origin $1(branch)

The following aliases are currently available - though not collected into
one place in the profile
sr = systemctl restart $1
st = systemctl status $1
vlm = less /var/log/messages
du1 = du --max-depth=1 .
psg = ps -e|grep $1

I'm willing to collect everyone's ideas, test them, and update the system
profile.

Send me your suggestions.