[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 78, Issue 15

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 13 02:12:57 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 15:15 -0400, Tony Anderson wrote:
> By now everyone is familiar with my frustration. I see some incredibly
> talented people doing the impossible. However, this talent is, in
> effect, re-inventing the wheel.
>
> Configuring an XO as a school server is a terrible idea. Once I saw
> the Spruce Goose with an aeronautical engineer. His comment, 'Just
> because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.'

Comes down to which services are needed at the point of deployment and
the number of clients. The XO was the easiest method to test the waters
of ARM support for the XSCE.

> Building XS-0.7 on a Fedora base instead of CentOS should be
> straightforward.
> Abhishek Singh at OLE Nepal did it for me in a few hours.

Just wondering what version of Fedora was used for the demo?

> The biggest problem
> was reconfiguring the build process to use local repositories so the
> build could
> be done independent of the internet.

Yea that is the easy part of the ecosystem, now try to configure the
services. Fedora's shift to using systemd, updating to a later version
of Apache are some of the fun stuff that the XSCE project addresses in
the F18 release.

> It is particularly frustrating when I imagine the wonderful
> enhancements this community could bring to XS. The original concern
> expressed by Abhishek and I was that XS-0.6 was based on an obsolete
> version of Fedora. This problem was
> elegantly addressed by Daniel Drake in XS-0.7.

Which is about the same as F14, now it is time to bite the bullet and
move forward in time to gain the support for ARM platform officially or
wait for ARM on CentOS.

> I hope we can have a real dialog on these issues in SF.

I hope so also.

Jerry