[Server-devel] XSCE Proposal | Moving to github and notifications

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Wed Oct 9 11:13:23 EDT 2013

Thx for the reply!

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Martin Dluhos <martin at gnu.org> wrote:
> On 10/08/2013 03:08 PM, Anish Mangal wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the topics brought up in today's meeting was making the code
>> and development process more visible. Can we have a discussion on this
>> list and come to a conclusion on the proposals listed below.
>
> Thanks for sending the summary. I am including my thoughts inline.
>
>> Proposal-1 : Shifting from redmine to github
>
>> Pros:
>> * Github offers a much better collaborative workflow with pull requests.
>> * Github offers better code visibility and reviews in the GUI itself.
>
> This is a good move for both of the reasons you have listed above. This will
> lend more credibility to the project attracting the attention of more
> developers. Also make sure to add a link to the github page on schoolserver.org,
> so that it is immediately obvious where to access and browse the existing codebase.
>
>> Proposal-2 : Notifications for source code commits to IRC. This is a
>> well accepted practice to keep community members informed and involved
>> about code changes and the development process.
>
> I think that it would be more appropriate to send notifications of merged pull
> requests rather than individual commits to avoid too much noise on the channel.
> Those who are interested can always follow the pull request link to access
> individual commits.

I would prefer notifications for pull requests *both* when they are
created and when they are merged. The creation of the pull request
will sort of open a review and test window for people willing to do
that, so notifying that event is necessary IMO.

+1 to notifications related to pull requests rather than individual commits.