[Server-devel] XSCE Proposal | Moving to github and notifications

Martin Dluhos martin at gnu.org
Tue Oct 8 22:38:01 EDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 03:08 PM, Anish Mangal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the topics brought up in today's meeting was making the code
> and development process more visible. Can we have a discussion on this
> list and come to a conclusion on the proposals listed below.

Thanks for sending the summary. I am including my thoughts inline.

> Proposal-1 : Shifting from redmine to github

> Pros:
> * Github offers a much better collaborative workflow with pull requests.
> * Github offers better code visibility and reviews in the GUI itself.

This is a good move for both of the reasons you have listed above. This will
lend more credibility to the project attracting the attention of more
developers. Also make sure to add a link to the github page on schoolserver.org,
so that it is immediately obvious where to access and browse the existing codebase.

> Proposal-2 : Notifications for source code commits to IRC. This is a
> well accepted practice to keep community members informed and involved
> about code changes and the development process.

I think that it would be more appropriate to send notifications of merged pull
requests rather than individual commits to avoid too much noise on the channel.
Those who are interested can always follow the pull request link to access
individual commits.

> Proposal-3 : Notifications for source code commits to the mailing
> list. This is a deliberate effort to again encourage better
> transparency, collaboration.
> Option-A : Send the notifications to server-devel. Since the mailing
> list is the single static archived place where everyone is subscribed,
> it makes sense to send notifications here.
> Option-B : Send to a separate mailing list. Those who are interested
> in development, may subscribe to it.
> Option-C : Github already offers the functionality to subscribe to
> updates. Individual users can sign up to get notified about updates to
> the repository.

I vote for option C as there is no need to reinvent the wheel for existing
functionality Github already offers. servel-devel should serve only for dev
discussions, imho.

Martin