[Server-devel] The three step XSCE demo!
anish at activitycentral.com
Sun Nov 17 20:48:02 EST 2013
Had some time on my hand this week to try out XSCE in a virtual
environment. It actually worked out pretty well, and now there's a working
appliance. Here's the three step XSCE demo!
*Step #1 - Download and install Virtualbox*
- Head to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to download the
Virtualbox package for your OS.
- Install instructions may vary for different platforms but should be
*Step #2 - Download and install the XSCE appliance*
- Download the XSCE Virtualbox appliance from here
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3eW2YPe6koIVXRVbDhSR0xXQ1U (approx 1.6
- *[optional]* Verify the md5sum to see if the image is not corrupt
- Open Virtualbox. Go to File -> Import Appliance.
- A dialog will appear asking you to "Open Appliance"
- Select the file you just downloaded "b_1364170741.ova"
- Click "Next" and then click "Import"
- A new virtual machine will get created
*Step #3 - Play!*
- Start the virtual machine just created. It will open a window, and an
OS will appear to boot.
- Wait till it boots. Once it has booted, a login prompt will appear in
a text console. Your XSCE is now up and ready!
- To test/demo, on the host OS (i.e., the one where you are running the
virtualbox software in) open a browser
- XSCE homepage: http://localhost:3380/
- From the homepage you should be able to navigate to Internet In
A Box. This image contains a test dataset.
- The link to the moodle homepage will NOT work. To access moodle,
go to http://localhost:3380/moodle/login/index.php. I am not able
to login, and there seems some issue with the homepage loading.
- Administrative GUI: http://localhost:9990 (username=root,
- Server monitoring tool - Munin:
- To check the authserver, go to http://localhost:5000/ (It will
probably say "No Sugar platform detected, please register your laptop")
- This is only meant to be a quick demo to see what an XSCE is on your
- I didn't setup root login (or atleast don't know the password to it).
So you won't be able to login to the XSCE once it's running. Should not be
a huge issue just for end-user demo purposes.
- This is just a weekend hack, I did based on a Vagrantfile supplied by
Santi. At this moment, this is not officially supported or anything (but as
far as I know in my testing, it works!)
- If this is a useful thing to maintain (based on feedback to this
thread :-) ) I (or somebody else) can propose this as a feature for 0.5/6.
So there are officially supported demo appliances.
- A wiki page is in the works.
Please try it out and let me know what you think of it!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Server-devel