[Server-devel] [XSCE] End User Documentation / Basic Setup Guide / How to upload PDFs etc

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Nov 17 15:05:45 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pathagar is still a work in progress.  I'm not sure if it can handle pdfs,
> though.  Last I saw, it was just epubs.

By design, Pathagar will serve *any* kind of file. The file serving is
done via HTTP (Can be apache, nginx, or lighttpd, etc). Here is an
example of PDF: http://108.171.173.65/book/10/view and here's an
example of epub: http://108.171.173.65/book/8/view Pathagar itself
doesn't care about the file format, as long as the http server has a
way (MIME) to handle it. As far as the Pathagar software itself is
concerned, there are no showstopping bugs that I know of.

A couple of notes on the *installation* of Pathagar, where we do have
a bunch of problems:

1) The *current* version of Pathagar is borked. I haven't gone back to
see where it fails or how, but there should be a prior version that
works. There is also a version (patch) that apparently fixes the book
edit and upload problem. I have not tested it. I hope someone else can
take a look?

https://github.com/PathagarBooks/pathagar/issues

2) There seem to be multiple deployment approaches. We have PIP, RPM,
fabric, and the good old way of installing and configuring by hand
(which is what I follow, because I haven't had the time to test the
other methods). At the OLPC SF Summit, Jerry told me that they have
the RPM part addressed, but the current bug (cannot add/edit books)
gets in the way.

Hopefully the latest patch can address these things.

--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Professor, Information Systems