[Server-devel] Inviting your suggestions for XSCE 0.4

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Mon May 27 14:58:32 EDT 2013

As many of you know, there has been a growing interest in expanding
the School Server project. The dedicated and loyal volunteers from the
School Server Community Edition [1] have been working hard to turn
this interest into a deployable implementation.

Over the last couple of months the project has been quietly focusing
on the basics:
1. A stable, extensible code base.
2. A stable, reproducible release process.
3. Establishing mutually beneficial relationships with up and down streams.

In light of all the turbulence in the ecosystem, the XSCE project made
the conscious decision to keep communication tight. As a project, we
now feel we are mature enough to operate more openly in the ecosystem.
Let's be honest, the server-devel list is not for the faint of heart.
:)

As a starting point, I would like to encourage interested people to
look at the Project Specification [2] to see if it looks like XSCE
will meet their School Sever needs.

The Project Specification is not necessarily a definitive document
about what XSCE 0.4 is or what it will include. It is a focus point
around which all of us will various goals can agree are important and
achievable with our existing time and resources.

Please let us know either on this thread or by editing the wiki what
you think is important and what you are will to work on.

1. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition
2.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Project_Specifications

Dave