[Server-devel] My Observations and experiences with XSCE 0.2.1

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Mar 20 23:29:44 EDT 2013

> If you would be so brave to try the latest rpm, please start with the
> testing enabled repo[1].

Done. With a fresh install of 12.1 as just trying to remove the dot
files and re-run the config script didn't work very well.

>> Reboot and the same
>> httpd problem with pathagar exists.
>
> This is should now be fixed.

Yes. httpd started on its own this time.

>> Fixing that still does not
>> correct the registration problem.
>>
> There was a strange issue when parsing /domain_config.d/, I wrongly
> assumed that dhclient, where the hostname is being set, would run first
> based on the filename. This has been resolved.
>
>> Running tcpdump on the exchange shows that the request to the webcache
>> port is responded to with a RST.  Nmap the sever and there's nothing
>> running on port 8080.
>
> That most likely was a result of the above hostname failure.

Nope.  Same problem.  I've not seen any problems with the hostname.
Its set to schoolserver  the .local domain is setup and both clients
and server properly resolve schoolserver into the right respective IP.
 tcpdump shows the client is issuing a request to 8080 and its getting
a RST back because nothing is responding at that port.  Whats supposed
to be servicing port 8080?  Whatever it is is not functioning.

>> than the next line.  The command still works but it makes it difficult
>> to review things when you look at history.
>>

> This alteration has been removed.

yes and there is a # back in my root prompt.  :)

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child