[Server-devel] My Observations and experiences with XSCE 0.2.1

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 20 17:50:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 12:54 -0400, Richard Smith wrote:

> >> rpm -q xs-config
> >
> > 0.8.2.100.18.g8895685-1

Thanks for the great feedback.

> I tried a 2nd install on a XO-1.5 I had and received exactly the same
> results.  (Without the MN tag problem).  The install appeared to go
> smoothly.  ejabberd claimed it could not start up.

There is an issue with ejabberd for XO-1.0/1.5s, I patched ejabberd with
dsd's pubsub patch but rolled the rpm on ARM only, just need to find
time to re-compile the source rpm on i386 and x86-64 and make it
available in the yum repo.

> Reboot and the same
> httpd problem with pathagar exists.

This is should now be fixed.

> Fixing that still does not
> correct the registration problem.

There was a strange issue when parsing /domain_config.d/, I wrongly
assumed that dhclient, where the hostname is being set, would run first
based on the filename. This has been resolved.

> Running tcpdump on the exchange shows that the request to the webcache
> port is responded to with a RST.  Nmap the sever and there's nothing
> running on port 8080.

That most likely was a result of the above hostname failure.

> So whatever is supposed to be servicing that
> didn't happen.  Other services look ok.  ssh, dns, http are up, squid
> is up on 3128,  xmpp on 5222 and 5280 and presence is on 5298.
> Identical behavior on the 1.75 server install.
>
> So I'd say either all my machines are broken somehow or there's been a
> regression.  I'm going to bail and use XS .7 for my dev purposes as
> this yak is starting to get hairy.  I can still run some diagnostics
> on the machines if you find you can't duplicate the failure and want
> more info.

If you would be so brave to try the latest rpm, please start with the
testing enabled repo[1].

> I've also discovered that the terminal command prompt appears to have
> broken line wrapping.  If you type really long lines in the terminal
> activity it will wrap back to the beginning of the same line rather
> than the next line.  The command still works but it makes it difficult
> to review things when you look at history.

This alteration has been removed.

> Hope this helps.

It does, thanks.

Jerry