[Server-devel] XSCE 0.2 on XO-1

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Mar 8 13:52:46 EST 2013

For what it's worth (and me not giving a rodent's behind) contrary to
popular consensus, I ran the XSCE instructions
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.2/Installing)
on a XO-1. A couple of attempts ran out of space, so I restarted with
a 12.1.0 image and removed /home/olpc/Library and emptied
/home/olpc/Activities, except for Browse and Terminal (Browse for the
cloud, and Terminal for everything else).

On the third run, it ran all the way, and now manages to provide me
with network activities. erlang/ejabberd is running. So are squid,
avahi, dhcpd, named, and dhclient. httpd isn't so I'll peek in and see
why. Not quite sure what else to do/check to see how it works. Does it
have a web UI? If so, didn't spot that in the instructions.

df -h tells me that rootfs mounted on / has 155M available. Perhaps
getting rid of GNOME etc. will free up more space.

Why did I do it? Short answer: Because I can. Longish answer: I would
like to see a common methodology of installation and provisioning of
services on all platforms, irrespective of form factor or CPU arch. So
far, it's promising.

cheers,
Sameer
--