[Server-devel] Pathagar

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jun 5 13:17:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I looked at Pathagar originally, it only worked when connected to the
> internet. Has this changed?

It works on any interface, as long as you can get to it from the XO or
any other laptop. The books are preloaded within Pathagar and the
onboard sqlite database + django powers the rest. The OPDS catalog and
pages are available via a browser or via ReadBooks activity. The ones
we sent to Madagascar last week are on Marvell DreamPlugs running WLAN
side, disconnected from the Internet. Whenever someone does connect
the DreamPlug (via Ethernet) to the Internet in Madagascar, it sets up
a OpenVPN connection for us to be able to get back in and push
book/media updates via rsync.

You can try it out by grabing a VM here:
http://www.olpcsf.org/pathagar

The VM expects to get an IP address via DHCP over a bridged interface.

> What can Pathagar store? Is it limited to pdfs? As I remember, it created
> database entries with extensive (library standard) cataloging information.

It can store any file format, I suppose. I've tried audio and video
successfully. Minimal entries are the file itself, title, and author,
I think. You can add a whole bunch of other info if available. These
are: description, tags, language, publisher, rights ,ISBN, etc.

> Is that still required? In many cases, that information is not easily
> available (e.g. multimedia items).

Not required. Optional.

cheers,
Sameer