[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: A Path to Pathagar.

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Tue Jun 4 18:08:20 EDT 2013

This is where things get fun and interesting!

We have tried to set Pathagar, Internet-in-a-Box, and other services up for
community success on XSCE:
1. Loosely coupled -- The plugin structure means that Pathagar and IIAB
need to know very little about XSCE and nothing about each other.
2. COTS -- Commercial off-the-shelf. Both projects are primarily developed
outside of the XSCE project by independent groups. This reduces the
development and maintenance on XSCE community members.
3. Complementary -- In this phase it appears that IIAB excels at 'the
scrape.' IIAB collects large amounts of data from the wild internet and
makes it available offline. The Pathagar projects looks like it will focus
on tightly curated collections for specific deployments.
4. Competitive -- Even though they start by working on opposite ends of
problem space, they overlap.

Hopefully, by building on these principles we can nurture/encourage both
project to thrive on their own and as components of XSCE.
 I'm curious how Pathagar may be applicable to our Internet-in-a-Box (
http://internet-in-a-box.org).

Can it scale to the 40,000 epub books in Project Gutenberg?

thanks,
Braddock Gaskill