[Server-devel] [support-gang] XSCE Sprint

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Jul 9 14:20:04 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

>>> 1 - An effective way to organize the digital library so that kids are
>>> attracted to find items they would like to download.
>>

>> We hope that we can evolve, and incorporate Pathagar for this in the short
>> term.  I've asked if there are other  open source alternatives, and not
>> gotten any viable suggestions. Seth insists that Pathagar is only going to
>> work for books. I'd like a multimedia warehouse.
>>>

> OPDS, the protocol used by Pathagar, can manage any media.
>
> In sugar we use GetBooks activity to download books, but there are no
> limitations to use it to other media.
> In fact, Ceibal use a modified version to download music too.

True. As long as the http server has a mime type entry for the file,
it gets served. Pathagar hands over the download to the http server.
We've hosted both audio and video files on Pathagar. From what I
remember, the confusion about what Seth said was to do with the
possibility of automatically extracting metadata from epub files,
which does not exist in Pathagar currently, but can be incorporated
with little effort. Extracting such metadata from other media may or
may not work.

cheers,
Sameer