[Server-devel] Favorite School Server hardware?

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Sun Dec 8 00:23:38 EST 2013

Hi, George, Adam

Decisions about performance require measurement under the actual (or
simulated) workload.

Use of the schoolserver is rapidly evolving and problems with
performance are to be expected.

These problems are not related directly to the model and serial number
of the school server. They
often relate to the amount of memory, the implementation of caching in
the server, the performance
of the network including routers.

The search functions in IIAB require processing by the school server.
The Atom and Arm processors are
not in a performance class with I5 (but I5 systems require much more
power and cooling and $). Collaborating
requires performance from ejabberd and places a substantial load on the
network. Video and audio streaming
places little burden on the school server but heavy burdens on the
network. Having 100+ XOs surfing the
internet via the school server is supported by squid caching but, as
most of us have experienced, can be excruciatingly
slow due to the limited bandwidth of the internet connection.

What we really need is not finger pointing but some serious performance
measurements in a deployment under different
workloads.

Tony

Message: 2