[Server-devel] Favorite School Server hardware?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Dec 6 20:23:42 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM, George Hunt <georgejhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Adam Holt is planning for an XSCE schoolserver deployment in Haiti in
> January, and in this instance there's plenty of power, and my favorite
> trimslice ARM may be under powered for the number of clients he is
> contemplating.
>
> The on-the-ground experience is not good with the trimslice that we
> installed earlier this year in a Haiti deployment.  Reports are that no more
> than 11 XO1 clients can simultaneously access the Internet In A Box. We're
> not sure whether the bottleneck is at the wifi level, (XO's not registered),
> the disk drive access, or the raw computing power of the dual core ARM
> processor.
>
> What other hardware have people been using recently?  What performance
> measures does anyone have?
>
> George

Take a look at Appendix J of
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/4/46/Testing_the_OLPC_School_Server_Benjamin_Tran_SFSU.pdf

None of these were ARM based, but the numbers might give you an idea.
Note that the network segment that was used for these tests was not
over WiFi. Instead the loading machine and the XS were connected over
a crossover CAT5 cable. There's also no intervening effect of XMPP
conversations.

cheers,
Sameer
--