[Server-devel] rc.local stall on reboot

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 31 23:36:34 EDT 2013

Hi George,

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 21:32 -0400, George Hunt wrote:
> I'm in Haiti, with limited internet access.  Adam reports that the
> reboot at Silar's orphanage is stalling, and when he hits escape, we
> sees a red star traveling left and right, and an error message, which
> talks about a "stop script".
>

> I am using rc.local to start up "wvdial" , which in turn stimulates
> the 3g ZTE USB modem, and opens up a vpn connection.

Hey George, disable that script, lets check
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections for any weird looking connections

next go to run level 5 (telinit 5), open My Computer and go to the Modem
Configuration and configure the connection there.

Once the connection is active I'd would look at how it was configured by
Sugar. Open terminal and type nm-connection-editor, you might have 2
modem connections pick the one with the long UUID appended to the named
and on click edit and ensure both "connect automatically and available
to all users" are ticked. Reboot

Once rebooted check if the connection is now active with ifconfig and
route -n, if they are not present we need to do some further debugging.

If you have a default gateway present run xs-setup-network to detect the
gateway, this should setup the iptables' rules needed and with a little
luck when you reboot every just works.

Jerry