[Server-devel] [support-gang] XSCE Test machines.

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Sat Aug 31 21:46:49 EDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org> wrote:
> Personally I don't want to commit OLPC to anything, but we definitely have
> lots of XOs, as well as networks which could potentially isolate a way in.

Great, I'll keep you in the loop.

> Load testing also is not new to me since I used to work with network
> firewalls and servers.
>
> However the office I am at and the offices historically in Massachusetts
> have highly utilized 2.4 GHz network environments.  You therefore will be at
> the mercy of whatever our neighbors are doing.
>
> Have you considered virtualizing your test setup?  It shouldn't be too hard
> to setup a bunch of Fedora VMs with simulated network delays, or even have
> one Fedora VM with several unique Sugar users.

It this point I am exploring the feasibility of a couple of options.
1. Load test suits. Running various simulations that would enable us
to reproducibly load test the server hardware.
2. As you suggest a bunch of VMs on a server. We could direct connect
the VM server to the piece of hardware on which we are testing the
school server using a cable
3. Alternatively, I was wondering about the possibility of a running a
bunch of wireless usb dongles from the VM server so we can get more
realistic wireless network device capacity. Each VM would be running a
dongle.
4. A test bed of actual laptop.

As we shift from option one to option four things get more complex and
expensive.... yet the quality of test will improve. I am in the early
of exploring what is possible on a really tight budget :) Tight as in
if I skip my ice cream cone this week, I can buy a usb dongle.