[Server-devel] ANNOUNCING School Server Community Edition Version 0.4 Release Candidate 1.

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 12:34:25 EDT 2013

As regularly as the changing of the seasons, another version of XSCE is
nearing release. This release provides something for both end users and
deployers.

End user:

   -

   Internet-in-a-Box
(http://Internet-in-a-Box.org<http://internet-in-a-box.org/>
   )
   -

   Integration of Pathagar bookserver
   -

   Content filtering using OpenDNS and Dansguardian
   -

   Tiny Core Linux Customization Stick for all XO’s

Deployers:

   -

   Offline install -- images at http://build.laptop.org.au/xsce/

   -

   Watchdog monitor for services, and automatic restart for long-term
   unattended operation
   -

   Usage Statistics collection
   -

   Remote administration via OpenVPN
   -

   Installs and runs on Trimslice and Raspberry Pi
   -

   Integration of Pathagar bookserver framework with Apache and PostgreSQL.
   Refinement pending future releases.

Installation instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Installing

The current heartbeat of our XSCE-0.4 testing can be viewed at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Testing/Results.  Note
that we have spent the bulk of our testing efforts on XO hardware (XO-1.5,
XO-1.75 and XO-4).  Hopefully, with additional help from the wider
community, testing will progress rapidly in coming weeks around (x86,
Trim-Slice and Raspberry Pi).

We would appreciate your help identifying remaining bugs prior to official
release, expected
mid-September<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Road_Map>
.

Bug reports can be entered at