[Server-devel] Western Digital hard disk data

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:01:37 EDT 2013

James, et al,

Monitoring the transient voltage minimums, running on battery, not
charging, with 2 ethernet dongles as additional load I get the following in
my testing of WD external  "my passport" drive:

XO4 -- voltage droops to 4.51 -- spins up reliably
XO1.75 -- voltage droops to 4.56 -- spins up reliably
XO1.5 -- voltage droops to 3.97 -- does not spin up

On the XO1.5, when I used external powered hub, idle voltage was 5.2, which
drooped to 4.97 during spin up.

Then I used my newly purchased lab power supply to try to find the
threshold for the decision to spin up. When I adjusted it to 4.3, and my
meter registered a transient minimum of 3.96, it failed to spin up. When I
set the PS to 4.35, and the droop went down to 3.98, the drive spun up. I
judge that the threshold is pretty close to 4.0v.

George