[Server-devel] Root fs on XO1

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at mikusj.com
Fri Aug 9 09:31:27 EDT 2013

On 08/09/2013 06:17 AM, James Cameron wrote:
> I have never been happy with using the
> XO-1 SD card slot.

I have been using SD cards in the XO-1 SD card slot for more than five
years now.  Although I have experienced occasions of SD card corruption,
they have been so rare as to not affect what I've been doing with my
XO-1 systems (I just "clean" the SD card and keep on using it).  In
those five years I have had maybe five SD card failures (the SD card
stops responding electrically) out of a pool of about 40 cards -- I
consider my SD cards to have provided me "acceptable reliability".
[Contrast that with my experience with XO-1.5 systems - four out of ten
failed (admittedly, the failures were early systems).]

By providing a swap partition on the SD card, I've been able to run
*large* Linux applications (e.g., BOINC, gvSIG) on the XO-1, despite its
limited main memory (I run them from Terminal in the Sugar environment,
and live with the limited multi-window capability provided by Sugar).
What I place on the SD card is executables (e.g., Adobe, Java, Browsers,
Sugar Activities (3GB+), Timidity) and data (mainly accessed through
Terminal - Movies, Books, Music, Images, Maps, etc.).

Without my 'permanent' SD card. the XO-1 would be "too little" for me.

mikus