[Server-devel] Questions for today

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 6 11:35:49 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 16:46 +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 04:22 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> > I agree a fully offline install method is needed.
> I think we are in substantial agreement.
>
> My model is that the deployment has someone with technical skills
> available who
> prepares the server for installation. However, at the deployment, the
> server should
> be stable enough to operate through a school year without hands-on system
> administration (except when the server hardware fails).

Full agreement with that, except for perhaps performance tuning that
might crop up with user demands.

> The community can provide the, probably volunteer, system administrator
> with
> a base system and a pantry of appropriate ingredients to tailor for a
> specific
> deployment without requiring the admin to give up his day job.
>
> It is perfectly feasible to install the school server from a usb drive.

Yes, I'm one of original driving forces behind that.

> It is the build that
> currently requires internet access.

Yup I agree, that is where the repos live unless you have created a
local mirror for pungi to use offline. The pungi tool has been
updated/replaced by lorax in the newer Fedora versions.

> The install at the moment requires a
> monitor,
> usb wired keyboard, and a usb wired mouse.

Think a vnc based anaconda(the installer) install might be do-able also,
to access the target machine not to retrieve rpms.

> These are not required after the
> install. By the way, the repositories need for an XS-0.7 build don't
> come close to
> fitting on a DVD.

Just need access to the internet or local mirror to let pungi do its
magic gathering the needed rpms and creating the anaconda installer.

Jerry