[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: ds-backup

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Wed Apr 17 08:47:06 EDT 2013

This brings up the interesting issue of basing the XS-CE on a long
term release. I have trying to sit on my hands for these discussion to
see how they play out.

I am pulled between two sides....

Stability -- Servers need to be inherently stable. Especially when we
work at the scale that exists in large deployment. This seems to
implies that something like CentOS would be the preferred OS. The
added benefit is that we don't expend too many of our limited
resources chasing upstream.

New Hardware -- The other side of the coin is the desire to run on new
hardware such as the XO4 or RaspberryPI. One of the ways long term
releases achieve stability is letting new ideas and new drivers 'bake'
in frequent release OS's like fedora.

I wish I had a good answer to this.

Dave

--