[Server-devel] New ds-backup for 12.1

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Apr 1 20:12:30 EDT 2013

I have a new ds-backup client package for 12.1 available here:

http://dev.laptop.org/~rsmith/ds-backup-client-0.15-1.fc17.noarch.rpm

This is both a bugfix and a feature release.  The bugfix is that the
ds-backup is broken on 12.1 and greater OS releases.  It will never
actually do a backup because we dropped suid root for ping and ds-backup
uses ping to establish if there is a net connection.  This package fixes
that.

The new feature is that ds-backup now backs up the power-logs directory and
the olpc users documents directory.  The power-logs backup will be useful
to me to make it easier to get power logs from deployments using a school
server.  I hope the documents backup will be useful to other people in the
future.

No changes to the ds-server code is needed but there isn't any UI for doing
the restore so that will have to be addressed before the documents back up
is useful in general practice.

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child