[Server-devel] trouble accessing HTTP server when using manual network configuration

Yannick Warnier ywarnier at chamilo.org
Mon Oct 15 22:41:17 EDT 2012

Hi David,

For once, I think I can help on this list :-)

I didn't have time to finish it, but I was actually writing a
documentation explaining the whole stuff and how to "unlock" your web
server.

For some reason (not explained by the author, neither that I understand
as of yet), the configuration of the web server (which you should be
able to find in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd-xs.conf) restricts the "Listen"
address to:
Listen 172.18.0.1:80
and/or
Listen 127.0.0.1:80

Just comment those lines (with a # prefix) and add
Listen 80

Then reload httpd
/etc/init.d/httpd restart

and your webserver should start responding from other machines.

Now, this might not be the case for you (I'm using the home-modified
Peruvian version) but it might also be the case that your virtual hosts
are configured somehow, somewhere (in the applications installed), to
only respond correctly when called as "http://schoolserver/". If this is
the case, then you would have to add the IP address and that name in
the /etc/hosts file of the clients. Something like

187.12.15.183 schoolserver

I think that would do it. Please let me know if it worked, because as I
was going mad about this, I started modifying files without taking
backups and now I'm not sure which was the initial state (and didn't
have time yet to reinstall from scratch).

Just as additional information: although there might be a Squid
configuration there, it doesn't seem to be blocking anything *entering*
the server, so the unavailability of the web server doesn't come from
there (this will save you a few gray hairs).

And while I'm at it, servers like that, distributed into the wild,
should really use a more orderly distribution than Fedora. The way this
server has been configured transpires a bit of lack of love. I'm not
offering myself to do it, but I wanted to leave my opinion here (just in
case many would agree).

Cheers,

Yannick Warnier