[Server-devel] trouble accessing HTTP server when using manual network configuration

David Kanenwisher d.kanen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 21:37:25 EDT 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to get the 0.7 of the school server to work on a laptop that
needs to be taken to different schools which already have an existing
network. I don't want to run the network setup tool since I'm concerned
enabling DHCP and DNS will cause trouble on the school's network. Sadly,
though not running the setup seems to have made the HTTP server unreachable
and I'm stumped as to why.

I set the hostname of the server to the IP address assigned to the server
by the router via DHCP and configured Apache to listen on all interfaces.
When I run netstat I can see Apache is listening on all interfaces on port
80, as configured. I can use wget on the server to retrieve the webpage at
localhost, 127.0.0.1 and the IP address given by DHCP. When I try to wget
or telnet to the server from another PC I get a message that the host is
unreachable even though, using tcpdump, I can see packets arriving on the
server. Also, I can ssh to the server from another PC.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious and was reluctant for quite a
while to message the list. I figured I must be close! The solution just
around the corner, but I realize now that I'm stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated or if you need anymore info I'd be glad
to get it.

Thanks,

David Kanenwisher