[Server-devel] XS 0.7 in VM

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Wed May 2 20:52:36 EDT 2012

The concerns I was told about have nothing to do with anything technical.

They are more along the lines of supporting XS users.  If someone wants to
install XS in a VM, there is often a presumption that we are experts in
their virtual server software and how it is setup, even if they want to
install a XS server for a large school in a tiny, non-preallocated image
for VMware Player on a teacher's ancient Windows laptop.  (For the record,
this is probably not a good idea.)

Deployments tend to vary widely in technical expertise.  It is much easier
for us to figure out hardware requirements without virtualization and say
"install on this" than to take a stab at what the minimal virtual
environment needed is for any given virtualization platform, and provide a
set of instructions on how to setup and debug that as well.

For demonstration and test purposes virtualization may work.  Having
administered a small VMware vCenter farm at my last employer, I am not
criticizing you for making the image.

But until I'm told otherwise or someone corrects my misunderstanding,
virtual images are not something OLPC wants to support at this time for
deployments.  I am just noting this for the record in case someone stumbles
upon this email thread, and thinks about using a virtualized image for
their school.