[Server-devel] XS 0.7 in VM

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed May 2 17:57:24 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org> wrote:
> At least historically, I have been told that OLPC does not support the XS in
> virtual environments.
>
> This does not mean it is not possible; but officially OLPC may not be able
> to support such VMs.
>
> I vaguely recall the reasons for this; but as it has been a while, I will
> leave the official explanation to someone else.

I did try to install XS 0.6 in VM, but I quickly gave up because of
the lanbonding stuff. I'm not even sure if it could be done, but
nevertheless I gave up. With XS 0.7's simpler networking options
(eth0, eth1) its a lot easier to run this server in VM.

We are planning on some training sessions for teachers in Jamaica over
the summer, and the main effort will focus on Moodle. Moodle is used
extensively at Univ. of the West Indies (http://ourvle.mona.uwi.edu/)
and at e-Learning Jamaica (http://www.e-ljam.net/moodle/)  Most of the
people in the Jamaica team are everyday users of Moodle. SF State also
runs Moodle extensively. So Moodle is low-hanging fruit for us. The
ability to run a local server in VM makes it a lot easier at training
sessions where a good Internet connection may be absent. That's one of
the motivations for creating this VM.

As for official support business, I haven't seen much for Moodle (who
uses Moodle?), so I hope that will improve (hint, hint).

cheers,
Sameer