[Server-devel] [support-gang] Restore journal from school server

Mitchell Seaton mseaton at ekindling.org
Thu Mar 22 14:48:32 EDT 2012

No, they're not the same format - the Backup Activity (ASLO) produces an
archive which can be restored Restore Activity (ALSO) (all items are
completely added to target journal on restore).

The backup with the old XS model (not sure if this continues with new, I
believe so) can generally be seen here
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Datastore_Simple_Backup_and_Restore
I believe the past-implementation is according to the blueprint.

I believe that I backed up Lubang's XS journal datastores
(/library/users/<Serial
Number>/datastore) that was in use during 2010/2011, but I don't think it
has been used this year since last July's (2011) upgrade to OLPC-AU version
(stalled), wasn't completed. And also we have backups of XO-laptop journals
with Backup activity. I also believe I left a copy if the backups with
Lubang (cc Lloyd). I will have to double check.

If it's regarding OM's XS servers and their backup - see the page I linked
above from wiki, and also look at backing up the file system (datastore
directories) and Moodle db, and consulting the XS 0.7 devs for guidance on
a potential migration (if needed) for restore single journal entry via
Moodle, for example.

regards,
Mitch

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Cherry Withers <cwithers at ekindling.org>wrote:

> Are the files saved from using the Backup Activity and the one from an
> auto-backup by the XS the same format? If so, can one potentially package
> the journal back-ups from XS and store them in USB and use the Restore
> Activity to restore in lieu of a full journal restore from XS at this time?
>

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM, George Hunt <georgejhunt at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I spent some unproductive time googling "restore journal from school
>> server" and variations on that theme. I even found a page talking about
>> backup/restore which referenced instructions for restore  later in the
>> page, (which was a false promise).
>>
>> So I am being lazy and asking for help. The eKindling deployment here in
>> the Philippines is installing school servers, and wants help using the
>> backups they now have on the server, when they are needed. I'd like to help
>> them, but I don't know enough, and it is not featured prominently on our
>> wiki!
>>
>> George

Mitchell Seaton
eKindling Technology Support