[Server-devel] failed to register

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 4 19:25:40 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 18:19 -0400, Holt wrote:
> On 6/4/2012 3:27 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:

> >> Think you bumped into this: https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11056
> >>
> >> Jerry
> >>
> > Thx. Will investigate. Copying Adam Holt and the Jamaica team on it
> > (the trouble in in a school there).
> >
> > Sameer

Hi Adam:

> One XO-1.5 successfully registered back on Saturday.  It successfully
> then pushed 36MB to the XS' /library/users/SHC03801C2E (after running
> /usr/bin/ds-backup.sh on the XO-1.5 and waiting ~30min).  So we went
> home Saturday night with a false sense of confidence!
>
> But no XO-1.5s will fully register today (all ~50 of the school's XOs
> are XO-1.5s).
> Clearly, Jamaica's change from XS 0.6 to XS 0.7 two months ago destroyed
> reliable registration?
>
> Frustrating as all XO-1.5s do connect to XS, whose /library/users become
> populated with each XO's serial number, when they 1st attempt to
> register.  EG. directory /library/users/SHC03801C18 on XS is just 1 of
> many examples of an XO-1.5 "incompletely" registering -- all similar
> directories contain:
>
>      .bash_logout
>      .bash_profile
>      .bashrc
>      .ssh

Think that just means that the backup on the XO has not run yet.

> Is it normal that XO-1.5s can ping the schoolserver in these 3 ways:
>
>      ping 18.172.0.1
>      ping schoolserver    (responds as 18.172.196.1)
>      ping schoolserver.providence.uwimona.edu.jm    (responds as
> 18.172.196.1)
>
> But yet CANNOT ping the schoolserver's eth0 IP address:
>
>      ping 18.172.196.1    (its "inet addr" according to "ifconfig etho"
> anyway)

Is the above a typo? Think that should be 172.18.96.1 according to what
is in my ifcfg-eth0 What are your contents of
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

> If it matters, a failng-to-register XO-1.5's /etc/resolv.conf reads as
> follows:
>
>      # Generated by NetworkManager
>      domain providence.uwimona.edu.jm
>      search providence.uwimona.edu.jm localdomain
>      nameserver 172.18.196.1
>
> What should I be trying?? :)

Again is 172.18.196.1 a typo?
On the XS what is in /etc/resolv.conf?