[Server-devel] failed to register

Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Jun 4 18:19:10 EDT 2012

On 6/4/2012 3:27 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Jerry Vonau<jvonau at shaw.ca>  wrote:

>>> On the XS I see the machine as registered via /var/log/messages
>>> (schoolserver olpc_idmgr: Registered user abcdefgh with serial
>>> SHC03345845)
>>>
>>> So, looks like the server end is doing what it should, but the XO end is not?
>> Think you bumped into this: https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11056
>>
>> Jerry
>>
> Thx. Will investigate. Copying Adam Holt and the Jamaica team on it
> (the trouble in in a school there).
>
> Sameer

One XO-1.5 successfully registered back on Saturday.  It successfully
then pushed 36MB to the XS' /library/users/SHC03801C2E (after running
/usr/bin/ds-backup.sh on the XO-1.5 and waiting ~30min).  So we went
home Saturday night with a false sense of confidence!

But no XO-1.5s will fully register today (all ~50 of the school's XOs
are XO-1.5s).
Clearly, Jamaica's change from XS 0.6 to XS 0.7 two months ago destroyed
reliable registration?

Frustrating as all XO-1.5s do connect to XS, whose /library/users become
populated with each XO's serial number, when they 1st attempt to
register.  EG. directory /library/users/SHC03801C18 on XS is just 1 of
many examples of an XO-1.5 "incompletely" registering -- all similar
directories contain:

     .bash_logout
     .bash_profile
     .bashrc
     .ssh

Is it normal that XO-1.5s can ping the schoolserver in these 3 ways:

     ping 18.172.0.1
     ping schoolserver    (responds as 18.172.196.1)
     ping schoolserver.providence.uwimona.edu.jm    (responds as
18.172.196.1)

But yet CANNOT ping the schoolserver's eth0 IP address:

     ping 18.172.196.1    (its "inet addr" according to "ifconfig etho"
anyway)

If it matters, a failng-to-register XO-1.5's /etc/resolv.conf reads as
follows:

     # Generated by NetworkManager
     domain providence.uwimona.edu.jm
     search providence.uwimona.edu.jm localdomain
     nameserver 172.18.196.1

What should I be trying?? :)

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !