[Server-devel] Collaboration XO-1 with XS

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Sat Apr 28 05:12:27 EDT 2012

Hi James,

I have been fairly familiar some time with using the basic default
installation of the XS. It is specifically the combination of XO-1 build 883
/ Sugar 0.94.1 with XS0-0.6 which has thrown up some issues - with
collaboration.

A typical situation when we observe this recently: a workshop with 20
teachers, all who have freshly installed release 11.3.0 on their XO-1s and
registered on the workshop XS and restarted. All have been accessing the
Moodle pages with no problems and the links to the public content in the
/library folder. I will have been using the XS network wirelessly to an XO
that is running Classroom Broadcast Activity, with no difficult whatsoever.
So there is no need to ping the server to understand that the XOs are all
properly connected and registered, although I take your point and would have
done more diagnostics if i knew how to isolate the issue with the
collaboration problem we experienced.

We were able to replicate the issue on identically set-up servers. The issue
is: not all the other connected XOs appear in the neighbourhood view, and
when trying to demonstrate collaboration using the set up above, it was only
rarely that the "sharing" icon appeared on other XOs neighbourhood view even
though all else seemed to be working fine. I tried using the discard network
history with a few XOs only once at the end of the workshop, and we then run
out of time. I tried again with my own setup later, using two XOs only, and
replicated the issue but the discard history did not work then. So that
might not be useful information.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question:

Was it intended that collaboration should work with XO-1s running release
11.3.0 using the XS-0.6 default installation?

Secondary question, if this is not working, and I have made no customisation
other than add some links using aliases presented as links on the Moodle
home page, what can I do to trouble shoot?

David Leeming