[Server-devel] Looking for new low power server hardware candidate

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Apr 11 07:07:17 EDT 2012

G'day George,

The trouble with a full mechanical engineering treatment of this is that
there's no telling what size each of the parts will be.

For something similar I used a kitchen vegetable rack.  This is a
plastic shelf, with feet, with a square grid pattern.  It is often
used for potatos and onions in food storage here, since these two
vegetables are best stored without light.

The grid pattern allows equipment to be anchored using cable ties.  It
also has good airflow.  Equipment can be anchored above and below the
floor of the rack.  Cables can be threaded through widened holes.

You may be able to simplify your design a bit:

1.  move from a USB HDD to a fast high spec SD card, saves one port,
enough saving to avoid the USB hub and DC/DC inverter,

2.  locate a USB hub that takes a 12V input,

3.  decide on only one Ethernet interface.

A minor thing; I would not have the input USB cable beyond the
baseboard.  It may be hit.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/