[Server-devel] Looking for new low power server hardware candidate

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:29:23 EDT 2012

When I took the picture in the following url, I was focusing on what it
would take to run off of 12V deep cycle battery:

http://schoolserver.wordpress.com/xs-installation/xs-0-7-running-on-xo-1-5/

I'm concerned with packaging,  and physical robustness in a real school
setting.  Maybe we could get someone with ME skills to dream up a cheap
package for all the accessory items.

We probably don't need the DC to DC inverter and the usb hub.  But then we
don't have an extra port for sneaker-net, or an adult sized usb keyboard.

At the fall 2011 summit, there was a general call for a turnkey XS that
"just worked".  If we could solve the form factor problem, the XO1.75 might
be a good solution.

I think it was Sameer who was telling me that in Australia, they are
thinking about one XS per classroom. In that setting, seems to me that
XO1.75 (even with only 512MB memory) would be more than adequate.

George