[Server-devel] Hidden SSID and Proxy settings

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 2 21:10:06 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 20:54 -0500, Dr. Gerald Ardito wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I am just getting back to this.
>
> I have tried the instructions on the wiki at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity#SSID_Network_Name
>
> But these instructions do not seem to work. After making the changes,
> nothing shows up in the Neighborhood view.
>
> I had success starting in Gnome, then connecting to the hidden
> network. And this kept when I switched back to Sugar.
> But, when I restarted, the hidden network was still hidden, and I had
> to do this again.
>
> Is there anyway to make this change permanent?

Fire up the nm-connection-editor before you reboot, Find the connection
under the wireless tab, tick both "Connect automatically" and "Available
to all users". This creates a file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts,
forcing NM to bring up the connection on boot, before the UI loads and
should be available in both Sugar and Gnome. You don't need to go into
gnome to run the tool, in terminal: nm-connection-editor If you could
send me the resulting ifcfg file from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts,
I'd be grateful for the example.

Jerry