[Server-devel] XS server struggles

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 18 06:07:13 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 18:34 +0930, Tom Daly wrote:
> G'Day  all,
>
> I am trying to setup up an XS server to support a deployment we
> have of XO 1.5's in Timor Leste. I have setup a USB boot and have
> worked through David Leeming's XS installation instructions and
> I appear to have a working XS server, I can ping and access the
> yum repos via eth0 (I used xsau-testing for my update).
>
> I am not using a wireless access point, I was figuring I could
> just use the wireless of the small netbook to communicate with the
> XOs (although I note that the wireless port of the XS server has
> no IP allocated).  Is this a bad assumption ?

Well, kind of, I don't have a quick how-to on how to do that, and not
all wifi card can act as an AP. Your in uncharted waters here but you
would need to have in your wifi card's ifcfg-<device> file:

DEVICE=<device>     << edit this to be the same as ifcfg-<device>
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Wireless
MODE=ad-hoc
CHANNEL=1           << change to suit
ESSID=school-mesh-0 << change to suit
MASTER=lanbond0
SLAVE=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
HOTPLUG=yes

This will place your wifi device as a slave of lanbond0 and should be
bonded to it, picking up the ip info from it.

> - is there something I should be reading about how get the XOs "using the XS"
The XS model assumes 2 network cards, not nic card and one wifi.

> - I want to be able to use the XS mainly for software distribution, so as to avoid the folks in
> Timor having to insert a flash drive into each XO ..is this possible if so how and what do I read
> to find out how to do this ?

Once the XO's can use the XS's dhcp server everything should just work.

> thanks for any pointers/help
>
> regards
> Tom Daly

Good luck,