[Server-devel] DNS question for East Timor deployment

Tom Daly tdaly61 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 19:38:16 EDT 2011

Dear all,

A colleague and I are working on a small XO deployment in East Timor and are having trouble accessing the XS server from the XOs.  We are using the Australian XS server software builds  and are using a wireless access point that is NOT connected to the internet.  Our issue is that as we are not connected to the internet we do not have *easy* access to a DNS server. My first plan was to simply use the IP address from the XOs to access the school server e.g. http://192.168.1.100 but the XOs still seem to want to use DNS.

Question: can I easily turn on DNS server on the XS given that we do not have an internet connection ?
If so how do I do this ?

On the XO's :
/etc/nsswitch.conf      says    files dns
And /etc/resolv.conf appears to get the nameserver 192.168.1.1 entry when the XO connects to the WAP for the first time.

So
 XO Server ------------  WAP -------------- XS Server |

thanks for any assistance
Tom